* Research interests focuses on demographic estimation and projections, especially in Africa and Asia. Strong interest in the development of new methodology and collaborates with academic research groups in improving the estimation of adult mortality and incorporating uncertainty in demographic modeling, population reconstruction and probabilistic projections.
* Thirty years of international and technical experience in demographic analysis and statistics, information technology, data processing, geographic information, databases, technical assistance and training, data publishing and dissemination, software development, electronic communications.
* (co)Authored 28 articles, 5 book chapters, 10 working papers, and 55 conference papers, and served as referee for over thirty demographic and public health journals. http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Patrick_Gerland/
* International experience in training, technical assistance, datasets creation and management as well as database standards.
* Extensive knowledge and experience in software applications and software development: design, specifications and enhancements; testing user-interfaces, functionalities, consistencies and performances; documentation, tutorial, dissemination, users support, translation and multi-lingual versions.